- Pick up some local pastries at a pastelería, some fresh strawberries at a frutería, and head to the beach for a relaxing breakfast
- La Tahoma (pastelería/pastry shop in Gros, on San Franzisco) has a huge selection of pastries and breads.
- There are tons of pastry shops and bakeries, however, so take your pick. =)
- If you're there on a Saturday, check out the farmers' market in Gros and pick up some local goods -- breads, local goat or cow cheeses (sample some from the lady that sells only goat cheese... it's delicious!), baked goods, veggies and fruits, or flowers.
- Sample some delicious local seafood at Freiduría San Francisco in Gros (They have a selection of fried fish, grilled fish and shellfish. Try the gambas a la plancha -- grilled prawns, tortitas de camarones -- crispy fritters made with absolutely tiny shrimp, and fried chipirones -- crispy fried whole baby squid.
- For delicious Italian food, try La Mama Vía (Paseo Colón). They have a selection of pizzas, pastas, salads, and risottos. Try the pizza primavera (with chorizo and green pepper), the pizza la toscana (with chorizo, chicken and hot peppers), or the risotto quatro formaggio (four-cheese).
- Hit up any number of bars (they are all over the place -- Bar Barandiarán on Avda. Boulevard is just one) for local pintxos (pronounced "peen-chose") and a cold beer. Pintxos (or pinchos) are like tapas (appetizers), but refer to a specific type of appetizer. The words pintxo and pincho mean thorn (in Spanish and Portuguese, respectively), and a pintxo consists of a slice of bread, a topping, and a toothpick (aka. the thorn) holding it all together. Common toppings include fish -- tuna, bacalao, smoked salmon or anchovies, faux crab or tortilla de patatas (Spanish potato omelette). See photo below of pintxos and tapas...
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Bites in San Sebastián - Donostia
Spent the weekend in San Sebastián - Donostia with some friends, and enjoyed some delicious cuisine. If you are at a loss for where to go, check out the following suggestions: