Sunday, July 27, 2008

the egg roll incident

(I was thinking about the String Cheese Incident...)

While working at Paulino's in Madrid, I learned how to make pastelitos de langostinos y gambas en su jugo-- delicious morsels of prawns and shrimp, sauteed together then rolled into thin pastry with a bed of sauteed vegetables.
I simply cannot get them out of my head...

So, on a whim, I embarked on an egg roll journey and used the knowledge and technique I learned at Paulino's to create some delicious pastelitos with more of an Asian flair.

I sautéed onions, julienned carrots and some savoy cabbage, just simply with a little bit of olive oil, salt & pepper. Then I sauteed peeled, deveined shrimp with olive oil, pepper, and a little bit of Jin Ji's Happy Hot Sauce. I put it all together in some egg roll wrappers, and shallow-fried them in olive oil.

Don't worry -- the oil wasn't dirty -- the bits on the outsides are from the residual Happy Hot Sauce in the pan.

I served them up with a carrot and savoy cabbage slaw -- dressed with soy sauce, lime juice, peanut oil, sesame oil, and toasted sesame seeds. Yum!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...