Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Omnivore's Hundred

Ok, I know I'm behind on the times with this post, but to be honest, I haven't been keeping up with my Google Reader. =/

Andrew of
Very Good Taste, a food & drink blog based in England, has come up with a list of 100 things that he thinks "every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life".

Here's what to do:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

The KIP Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison

2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht – this one, I feel compelled to apologize that I haven’t tasted
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses – a cheese from Burgundy
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese – I’m not yet sure how I feel about this one
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepperask Anthony why….
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava

30. Bagna cauda – hot dip similar to fondue – Sounds good!
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi – I’ve had mango lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar – I don’t see this one happening
37. Clotted cream tea – tea taken with scones, clotted cream, and jam – sounds delicious!
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects – probably not
43. Phaal – curry hotter than Vindaloo – bring it on!
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu – I’m a little freaked out about this one, seeing as how, if not cooked correctly, this fish can poison you with its natural neurotoxin content!
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin – not sure how I feel about eating the gonads of a sea creature
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi – stonefruit similar to apricots and plums – I’m in!
53. Abalone – giant sea snail – why not?
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal – I’m more of a Big ‘n Tasty girl – It has a real lettuce leaf, not that shredded stuff
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini – I’m in if it’s made with Tanqueray
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine – delicious Canadian treat made of fries, gravy and cheese
60. Carob chips – did not enjoy this one…
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads – thymus glands? No thanks…
63. Kaolin – clay?
64. Currywurst – German sausage with curry sauce – Sounds awesome
65. Durian – Southeast Asian fruit – Can’t wait to try this one!
66. Frogs’ legs – I’ve heard they taste like chicken…
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis – this involves organ meats, so I’m not sure…
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette – Not sure about eating this one…
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe – probably not
74. Gjetost, or brunost – Brown cheese! When have I ever said “no” to a cheese?
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu – seriously alcoholic beverage – I bet Nat would drink this with me.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong – smokey black tea
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum – hot and sour Thai soup – this is next on my list!
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant – maybe when I’m no longer a college student
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse – I just like horses too much for this one…
90. Criollo chocolate – I may have had this, but if not, it’s gotta be done.
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa – I’ve had regular.
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

The totals:

Tried: 47 Haven’t Tried: 44 Won’t Try: 8 Perplexed By: 1

The verdict: I need to get on this list…

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...