Thursday, April 30, 2009

a few days in the Berwicks

I spent a few days last week in the Berwicks (in Southern Maine) with a good friend. It was a welcome vacation from the work involved in completing my final college semester. We spent our time doing some outlet shopping in Kittery, walking along the Marginal Way in Ogunquit, picking up some salt water taffy at Perkins Cove Candies, and of course -- enjoying delicious food!

The first night I was there, she took me to a place called Tapas & Tini's, which was quite fitting since I'm completely in a Spanish food deficit. While the tortilla (Spanish potato omelette) was not quite what I'm used to, I must remember what a friend told me last year. ("It doesn't matter how you make it, because everyone makes it differently. There's at least one person out there who has made it the same way.") The empanadas were quite delicious, filled with tender chicken and potatoes, and wrapped in a flaky and brightly colored (sweet potato?) dough. We also enjoyed the tomates adobados, or marinated tomatoes, which were served on zesty slices of toast. Of course, I felt compelled to order a martini, so I chose the Hendrick's Cucumbertini (pictured here), which reminded me sharply that I have not had gin in quite some time. Overall, it was a meal to be repeated!

The next night, she took me to Tío Juan's Margaritas Mexican Restaurant, where I was finally able to sample the infamous Heavens to Margatroid margarita, which is made with 7 liquors and promises to be "an out of world experience". Whether you choose to have it frozen or on-the-rocks, it's delicious! And if you're looking for a light dinner (or one that's light on the wallet), consider splitting the steak and chicken combo fajitas. It's the perfect amount of food for two, and it's delicious!

While I was in the Berwicks, I also visited Dairy Queen for the first time EVER, and my friend introduced me to a delicious chips & dip combo. It's somewhat of a local product combo, as both the artichoke dip (not your typical artichoke dip!) and the tortilla strips are made in Concord, NH. They're made by Mitchell's, and the artichoke dip is to-die-for! It's not as heavy as traditional spinach & artichoke dip but is just as addicting. The tortilla strips are perfectly seasoned, slightly nutty, and a welcome break from mass-produced supermarket tortilla chip. Mitchell's claim to fame is their Fresh Salsa, but they offer 10 fresh sauces/dips/salsas in total, along with their tortilla strips. Of course, I had to take some strips and dip back to VT with me. =)

On the way out of town, I stopped off at Duston's Bakery and Deli in Dover, NH to pick up a few treats for my friends. They make the best whoopie pies around, and actually make pumpkin whoopie pies! They're AMAZING.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...